Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A day in the Bay

Today was another great day which started off with tea and crumpets and ended with a very Kiwi/Mexican food meal at The Flying Burrito. I already have grown fond of the culture and the mentality of the people here in New Zealand. After only being here a day it seems that I am in the right place and right where God wants me to be.

One thing that I have found out that even though the days are really nice it tends to get dark about 630 pm and when the sun goes out so does the heat, which is fine, but because there is no central heating in the houses here (none what so ever) it tends to get really chilly and that is why I sleep with a hottie. Now I know what your thinking, "what type of christian place are you with and who are you staying with." HAHAHA, a hottie is a type of warmer that they put in between the sheets that makes your bed warm after just about 5 or so minutes, so yes I will be sleeping with a hottie for a while.....arent you so jealous.

I hung out with the staff at the church this morning and it was so great to hear people talk about the community and all that is happening here in New Zealand. Even though there are a few churches here in Tauranga apparently it is a very unchurched place, so much so that the statistics of people who actually go to church is only about 10% of the people in the area and Tauranga is considered to have alot. So that really opens my eyes and my heart to how great of a need bringing the love of Jesus is needed here. Yes it is beautiful but at the same time it is a very lost and searching place in terms of individuals.

I have only been here a short time and after years of praying for God to show me the way to New Zealand he officially did today. We had a meeting with the ministers in the area, of all congregations (C.O.C., Baptist, Prespaterian, Pentecostal, etc.) and it was amazing because there was no fighting, there were no we are right you are not type of talk, it was people from different congregations with maybe a little bit differences in how they do things, but their passion for the Lord and for young people was amazing and definaltely something that is lacking in American church and culture.....was awesome to see true love and "CHURCH" today. I met a guy out of the meeting who is heading up a group through YWAM here in Tauranga that starts at the end of August and it turns out he knows the guy I have been talking to for some time about it and after speaking with him it was so evident to why I am here. The things that they are doing here in Tauranga with the Next Generation they call it is truly inspiring and moving and I am so stoked to be a part of it so please continue to pray for that ministry and for my next couple of steps here in the next few weeks.

So far it has totally been an eye and heart opening experience and I am so grateful to Jim and Marylin Mauldin for letting me come and stay with them for a while. I am so excited to see what God is going to do and I am just so looking forward to what he is going to show me and lead me to. Thanks for you prayers and thoughts and I will talk to you guys tomorrow.

NIGHT

No comments: